Monday, August 26, 2013

On Thursday, I'll call Paris my home!

It seems like yesterday when I installed a countdown app on my phone solely to see how many days, hours, minutes and seconds until I would depart. At that time, there were 225 days left. Mais mercredi est le jour! (But Wednesday is the day!) At 2:12pm, I will board un avion en route to Paris, and frankly I don't think it will hit me until I start to unpack my bags, organize my clothes into drawers, and place my books and pictures onto shelves. My family and friends frequently ask if I'm "ready," and the answer is simply, "Oui, je suis très prêt!" ("Yes, I am very ready!") But in reality, how can you prepare to transition from all things familiar, to leave everyone you love, and move to a new city, in a new country, with a new language and all new faces? (Cue: prayers!) I will let you know if I ever figure out the answer. With that said though, I could not be more thrilled. I still remember vividly the morning when I received une lettre from Elvire welcoming me into their family-- it was on Friday, November 9th. I started screaming, crying and jumping up and down. J'etais rempli de joie! (I was filled with joy!) Don't believe me? Ask my roommates at the time (Helen Hosmer and Courtney Willoughby) and those who lived below us (Mary Frances Steagall aka my girl crush forever, Kelly Roy and Sarah Ragan). I was on an all-time high and my halfway-completed assignments, upcoming papers and daunting exams suddenly were a bit superflu. I remember thinking, "If I could leave tomorrow, I would." That dream is now in sight!

I've thought of another prayer request if it crosses your mind. Having never traveled to Paris, my expectations of life in the city are very high. I mean at this point I'm envisioning the entire city doused in glitter. Please pray that my expectations would diminish so I will enjoy even the simplest of things. Merci, mes amis! (Thank you, my friends!) 

"I am going to enjoy life in Paris I know. It is so human and there is something noble in the city… It is a real city, old and fine and life plays in it for everybody to see."   -Katherine Mansfield

No comments:

Post a Comment