Sunday, September 1, 2013

Foie Gross

Today we celebrated Christophe's 50th birthday with a meal prepared at the house by a close family friend, who is a chef at the culinary school across the street and at one of the best restaurants in Paris. We started with champagne, white and red wine. We ate foie gras (goose liver, ew) with fig preserves and bread, agneau (lamb) served with thyme & chive mashed potatoes and roasted cherry tomatoes. We ended the meal with several types of French fromage (cheese), salade verte (green salad), and a figue tartine (fig tart) served with a small scoop of the richest vanilla bean ice cream I've tasted. C'était magnifique! Bon appetit et bon anniversaire, Papa!

Sunday is my day off, so I walked down Les Champs-Élysées to L'Arc de Triomphe, and then back towards Le Tour Eiffel, stopping at Ladurée on the way to purchase a few macarons. Caramel à la fleur de sel, Chocolat, Café, Pétale de Rose, Noix de Coco, and Framboise (salted caramel, chocolate, coffee, rose petal, coconut, and raspberry) were my macarons of choice. I enjoyed them (yes, all six) on Le Champ de Mars, which is the lawn in front of Le Tour Eiffel.

I have blisters all over my feet, but I'd gladly deal with ten more tomorrow if it meant I was walking towards Le Tour Eiffel in pretty sandals.

A few things I'm learning the hard way:
-My teeth are going to turn brown from all of the black coffee and red wine.
-The "terrible twos" are real.
-Bath time for the boys ---> wine time for me.
-I hate tourists. I am a tourist. I hate myself.
-My stern voice isn't working. The boys will be ruled with an iron fist beginning tomorrow.

"You like Chinese person. You take picture of everysing."   -Louis

Christophe's 50th birthday lunch


L'Arc de Triomphe

Macarons from Ladurée

Le Tour Eiffel

1 comment:

  1. "I hate tourists. I am a tourist. I hate myself."
    crying. miss you! Keep these posts coming!

    ReplyDelete